TEAM DNR Volunteer Description
A highly-trained volunteer who visits schools (both public & private) and provides lessons to students about specific Bay-related issues or topics. Volunteers further DNR's commitment to educating students about the Chesapeake Bay, it's freshwater, estuarine and marine creatures, and related environmental issues. Volunteers provide an important link between DNR and schools around the state.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Visit schools requesting programs and present Bay-related lessons
- Represent DNR at schools and other DNR public events in a professional manner
- Participate in various training events/field trips sponsored by DNR
- Take good care of all presentation equipment
- Help DNR evaluate what teachers think of the program
- Desire to work with children
- Able to work independently
- Friendly and outgoing attitude
- Open to new ideas and concepts
- Desire to protect the Bay watershed
- High school graduate or higher education
- A valid drivers license and own transportation
Volunteers work in pairs to educate students in a classroom environment. DNR staff will support but not supervise volunteers in a school. On occasion, a volunteer might be asked to lead outdoor presentations.
Volunteers represent DNR. They should be friendly, polite, and professional in the classroom. Volunteers give scripted presentations in schools that request our help. Presentations are in self -contained kits.
The volunteers must follow these lesson plans as they are correlated to the Maryland Environmental Literacy Standards and to the Common Core Curriculm, as well as the Next Generation Science Standards.
Benefits to Volunteers:
- Detailed training in specific environmental topics
- Interaction with other persons having similar ideals
- DNR special events
- Special training at field sites around the State
- Opportunity to make new friends and educate the next generation of environmental stewards
Conservation Education Specialist/TEAM Program Coordinator
Maryland Dept. of Natural Resources
580 Taylor Ave, E-2
Annapolis, MD 21401
The State of Maryland is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you have further questions call Chris Hintz, TEAM program coordinator, at 410-260-8809 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Two Exciting Programs
- Aquatic Resources Education
- ARE Grants
- Project Wet
- TEAM DNR
- Sunfish and Students
Raising Bluegills in the Classroom
- Trout in the Classroom
- Green Eggs & Sand
- Healthy Water,
- Hooked on Fishing
- Storm Drain Stenciling
- "Be a Part of Something BIG!"
- Full List of Programs
- Upcoming Events & Workshops
- Education Homepage
- Indicates that the program is now aligned with Marylandís new Environmental Literacy Standards!