Maryland Hunter Education Independent Study
The Maryland Hunter Education Program offers two programs for Independent Study. The Internet Based Course and Home Workbook Course. Both provide an alternative delivery method of the Hunter Education Course.
Internet Based Course
Do not wait until September, or later to schedule your Field Day Workshop to complete your certification. All classes may be full or have been completed by that time.
If you wait until last minute, you might not be able to hunt this year.
The Internet based course requires that the student satisfactorily complete an Internet based course of study. Once the student has successfully completed the internet course, the student must complete a mandatory one day Hunter Education Field Day Workshop which includes lectures, hunter safety skills demonstration, range skills demonstration, including live firing and a final exam in order to complete all state requirements
You must be 16 years of age or older to participate in this program. Upon successful completion of the Internet course, you will be issued a voucher to attend the field day workshop. (You print this voucher on your printer) The Internet course procedures are as follows:
- The internet website is operated by a private vendor.
- Students may work through the internet course, and take a pre-test at no cost. There is no time limit.
- When the student is ready to take the 75 question final exam. A fee of $15.00 must be paid to the online vendor.
- All course content and chapter reviews must be completed prior to taking the final online exam.
- The 75 question exam must be passed with a minimum score of 80 % in order to obtain a voucher that qualifies you to attend a mandatory a Maryland Hunter Education Field Day Workshop.
- After passing the online test, you will then print out a voucher on your home computer.
Hunter Education Field Day Workshop
- Students must bring their on line voucher with them to the workshop. Failure to present this voucher will prohibit you from continuing in the program.
- You will be required to provide a photo ID and proof of age upon arrival (driver’s license or copy of birth certificate). Failure to provide these two requirements will prohibit you from continuing in the program.
- You will participate in a lecture covering hunter ethics, basic firearm safety and handling, and tree stand safety.
- You must successfully complete a 50 question Maryland specific exam with a minimum score of 80%.
- You will participate in field exercises which will include firearms handling and live firing. You will be evaluated in each of these activities. These activities take place outside, so dress accordingly.
- Students will not bring firearms and ammunition to the workshop. Firearms, ammunition, eye and ear protection will be furnished. If you prefer, you may bring your own ear and eye protection.
- Upon successful completion of all of the above and approval of the instructors you will be issued a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety which allows you to purchase a hunting license.
- A maximum fee of $10.00 for this workshop may be charged by the volunteer instructors to cover costs incurred in providing the workshop.
- The field day workshop may last 4 to 6 hours, depending on number of students.
Please carefully read the registration instructions below, as instructions for each location may differ. You will be required to provide your voucher number when you pre- register and must present it to the instructors on arrival at the field day workshop. Registration for all Hunter Education Field Day Workshops closes two weeks prior to the workshop date.
NOTE: The Internet Study Course must be successfully completed prior to pre- registration for a field day workshop.
Click here to go to the Internet based hunter education site.
Field Day Workshop listing
NO FIELD DAY CLASSES AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.
Last updated November 19, 2013