Jerusalem Mill Village

JerusalemMill.jpg Once the center of a thriving 18th- and 19th- century Quaker settlement, the Jerusalem gristmill operated continuously for nearly two centuries. Located on the banks of the Little Gunpowder Falls in Harford County, both the mill and village are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Jerusalem Mill was acquired by the state as part of Gunpowder Falls State Park in 1961 and now serves as the park headquarters and visitor center. The village’s buildings and grounds host a variety of regular and special living history events.

Things To See and Do

  • Visitor Center and Museum: view artifacts and exhibits pertinent to the mill and village’s history; docent tours provided 1-4 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays year-round.
  • Blacksmith Shop: demonstrations of traditional techniques of iron working are offered on Saturdays and Sundays from 1-4 p.m., year-round.
  • Gun Shop: observe the daily activities of 18th century village life: Gardening, gunsmithing, hearth cooking, etc; Sundays from 1-4 p.m. year-round.
  • McCourtney’s General Store and Gift Shop: view artifacts and displays from significant events from the 1830s to 1940s; shop for eclectic treasures in the gift shop; open Saturdays and Sundays from 1-4 p.m., year-round.

Special Events

  • Summer concert series - first and third Sundays, June through August
  • Gilmor's Confederate Cavalry Raid of July 1864 - typically held during the summer.
  • Legend of Sleepy Hollow - October
  • Christmas in the Village - December

Visit the Friends of Jerusalem Mill’s website for more information:

Self-Directed Activities

  • Visit Jericho Road covered bridge
  • Hiking, Mountain Biking, Fishing and Horseback Riding (see self-guide activity page)
  • Picnicking in the meadow
  • Bird watching


The mill visitor center, blacksmith shop and McCourtney’s Store are accessible. For additional accessible amenities in Maryland State Parks, visit the Accessibility For All section of this website.

The Friends of Jerusalem Mill

The Friends of Jerusalem Mill was organized in 1985 to promote the restoration of the mill and adjacent buildings. Through the efforts of the Friends group, the new park headquarters and visitor center/museum were dedicated in 1995. The Friends have restored the blacksmith shop, the gun shop, the springhouse and the general store with work continuing or planned on other structures, including the Percy Lee Bank Barn. An active living history interpretation program gives scheduled access to the restored structures year-round. The village is also the site of a variety of outdoor special events from spring through fall.

The Friends of Jerusalem Mill meets the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. in the mill conference room and welcomes new members. Their mission is to promote preservation, restoration and education. Additional information is available on their website at or by calling the visitor center/museum at 410-877-3560.

Mill History

GFSP_JerichoBridge.jpegIn 1769, millwright Isaiah Linton and miller David Lee, both Quakers from Bucks County, Pennsylvania, entered into a partnership to build a gristmill, one of 18 mills constructed by Linton. A low-lying site along the Little Gunpowder Falls called “Jerusalem” was selected as a mill seat. After completing the mill’s construction in August of 1772, David Lee began milling flour under the "White Silk" label. Much of the gristmill’s flour was shipped to the Caribbean.

Originally known as Lee's Merchant Mill, Jerusalem Mill was one of the important early mills in Harford County, and one of the largest in Maryland. It saw great changes in technology and economy through its two centuries of operation. The half-mile long race channeled water into the mill and powered two internal pitch-back waterwheels. These were later replaced by two horizontal water turbines, which turned vertical shafts driving the machinery above. The ground floor served as the grinding level with 52-inch millstones. The 5-story, 60 by 30-foot mill building was framed using classic millwrighting techniques, featuring massive white oak posts supporting the oak ceiling, floors and stairways. Two tiers of three dormers on each side of the roof provided light to the upper levels of the building and contribute to its distinctive look. The mill was converted to electricity after a flood broke the dam in 1940.

The business evolved from Lee’s original merchant milling operation to a combination of services for the local farming community. The mill outlasted most of its competitors due to the entrepreneurial spirit of the last miller, Jack Bridges. Recognizing the declining business in milling, he layered on an early convenience store and the revenue from this sideline compensated for the decrease in milling income until his death in 1961.

Village History

The surrounding village was also the site of a cooperage, blacksmith shop, wheelwright, sawmill, general store with post office and the Jericho covered bridge.

The cooperage today is referred to as the “gun shop” for its alleged use during the American Revolutionary War for the production of gunstocks for the Maryland Militia. In later years the building housed at different times a cabinetmaker's shop, a cider press, a cannery and a residence. Today, the building is used for living history demonstrations including hearth cooking and gunsmithing.

The general store had its moment during the Civil War when a band of Confederate Cavalry under the command of Colonel Harry W. Gilmor swooped down and "requisitioned" nearly $1,000 worth of goods and horses. The event is commemorated each summer as Gilmor's Raid.

Down Jericho Road from the store is one of Maryland’s six remaining covered bridges, constructed just after the Civil War in 1865.