Letterboxing Instructions at Soldiers Delight NEA
Step by step instructions for letterboxing at Soldiers Delight.
- Check to make sure you have everything you need to begin letterboxing, including:
* Your signature stamp
* A pen
* An ink pad (some markers work as well)
* A travel journal
* A map of the area you intend to search may be necessary. See individual clues for details
* A compass in case you need to take a bearing (not needed for letterboxing at Soldiers Delight)
* Download the clues or directions to your next letterbox
- Read entire clue prior to beginning the letterbox adventure.
- Complete the letterbox adventures to find your “key” or lock combination.
- Unlock the letterbox with your key (After the combination has been entered into the lock, you must push up hard on the lock then pull down for it to release).
- Make an entry into the letterbox’s logbook…
* Stamp–in with your signature stamp (If you don’t have a stamp a quick doodle will do)
* Write down your trail name (or that which you wish to be referred to as)
* Write down the date
* Write about your adventure (something you saw, a quick poem, a saying, or whatever you like)
- Make an entry into your travel journal…
* Use the stamp you find inside the letterbox and stamp your Travel Journal (or download a Travel Journal from this website) * Write down the date
* Write about your adventure
- Finish your adventure…
* Put the log book back in the letterbox
* Wipe any extra ink off the stamp after using it and wrap it back up in its felt
* Close ink pad up tight (if one was available – we suggest you bring your own)
* Re-lock the letterbox and scramble the combination so others will be able to find it just as you did. Please make sure it is locked by giving it a tug
* Proceed to next clue if there is one.